Nothing says Christmas like the smell of gingerbread baking in the oven! This delicious gingerbread is guaranteed to be a winner with all of your friends and family this Christmas, or any time really!
- 225g of Salted Butter, softened to room temperature and roughly chopped
- 1 cup Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup of Golden Syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 4 cups Plain Flour
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter with an electric beater/mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and golden syrup and mix until combined.
- Add spices and two cups of the plain flour to the butter/sugar mix. Stir to combine or mix on low speed in a mixer. Add the remaining 2 cups of flour and stir/mix until the mixture combines and forms a dough. Roll into a ball.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured, large oven tray lined with non greased baking paper. Roll out dough to about 1cm thick. Chill in fridge for 20+ minutes.
- After chilling, remove the dough from the fridge. Dust the cookie stamp lightly with flour, tap off any excess, press firmly onto the dough and remove. Cut with cookie cutter and place onto the second lined baking tray.
- Place the tray of raw cookies back into the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours (overnight if possible). This will help the design to "set" before baking.
- Roll out the remainder of the dough again, putting back into the fridge once rolled to firm up before stamping and cutting until you have used all of the dough.
- Bake cookies in pre-heated 160 degree oven for approximately 9-11 minutes or until cookies are cooked through (we suggest doing a trial batch to test your oven for optimal cooking time). Allow to cool for 2 minutes, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.